Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Sex Lives of Cannibals

by J. Maarten Troost.

Quickie recap: Maarten and his wife Sylvia head off to a tiny little stinker of a barely-island in the south pacific, where things are rarely postcard perfect, but sometimes paradise-like nonetheless.

Quickie review: After my initial disappointment over the lack of actual sex in the book (unless you count the dogs), I was able to find both the humour and the poetry of his misadventures in a truly foreign land.

Quickie recommendation: I have rarely enjoyed cannibalism quite so much as this.

3 comments:

Sultan said...

I liked this book although I thought it lost some steam towards the end.

It did make me want to journey to the South Pacific although I am going to need more creature comforts.

Jay said...

You're right, it probably did lose some steam toward the end...but then, it reflected his experience in leaving the island, the anti-climax of returning home...

Kelly said...

Interesting book.