Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs

A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman.

Quickie recap: A collection of essays written by and for Generation X, including but not limited to such topics as: how John Cusack made it impossible to love, why soccer is for ninnies, how the fuck Saved By the Bell stayed on the air for several seasons, the Greatness of Billy Joel, and why life can be boiled down to Lakers vs. Celts.

Quickie review: Some of this stuff is really dated, and to be honest, his ramblings about The Real World, and The Sims lost me. But he writes with such humour and tongue-in-cheekness that I find it irresistable. He writes the way my friends discuss philosophy after 7 margaritas. Some of the biggest farts come when he thinks he's being really deep, but then when you're not looking, you get gold.

Quickie recommendation: I think he states his target audience as those born between 1965-1977, and that's probably fair. He's being hip about things that came and went at least 10 years ago, but it's awfully endearing and I quite enjoyed myself.

3 comments:

anne... said...

agree that this is a really enjoyable collection of essays - especially well suited for transit! very easy to pick up & put down. also very strongly agree with the fact that john cusack circa say anything ruined me for love FOREVER!

Jay said...

As a matter of fact, I did read a bunch of it on the bus!

Anonymous said...

Admittedly I haven't READ this book, but I didn't listen to it as an audiobook...my first audiobook. I think I would have enjoyed reading it anyway, but hearing Kloosterman himself was extremely engaging and perfect for transit listening. I can't read any of his books now without hearing his voice in my head.