Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Story of A Widow


A novel by Musharraf Ali Farooqi.


Quickie Recap: A middle-aged widow living in a neighbourhood of Karachi puts the whole of her family, friends and acquaintances into an uproar when she decides to try her hand at remarriage.


Quickie Review: This was a toughie for me. I didn't much like it. Mona could have been an interesting character, but she seemed more like the cardboard cut-out of the potentially interesting character instead. Majorly disappointing. Ali Farooqi paints her as one of the most superficial characters I've ever had the displeasure of reading, and she was the one driving the story! Saying she was one-dimensional attributes just too many dimensions to her. We never get any real insight, no glimpse of her inner thought process. When she entertains this new suitor we have no idea what she sees in him and I have no idea why I wasted my time with this book.


Quickie Recommendation: Pass.

No comments: