Friday, May 15, 2009

The Little Stranger


by Sarah Waters.

Quickie Recap: A small town doctor, Faraday, is called up to a crumbling old mansion to help proud but failing family who still inhabit it against all odds. The family fortune is gone, and they suffer set back after set back. But the family is oddly compelling, and Dr Faraday can't seem to stay away, even when things start to get very unsettling...

Quickie Review: The make or break of this book lays in the creepiness factor. It`s an old house with a history. Possibly, it`s haunted. There are unexplained happenings, mysterious deaths, and lots of dark corners. Either the author can pull this sort of thing off, or not. And this case, it was a resounding yes. I remember at one point it being maybe past noon, I was hunched over my desk at work, with another person in the office, our reading lights on, and I was still getting goosebumps.

Quickie Recommendation: Well executed. Find out more about it here.

4 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I just reviewed this on my blog, too, and I totally loved it. It wasn't as good as Fingersmith, but I still couldn't put it down.

Jay said...

Cool!
I love it when I actually read something at the same time as someone else!
I'm coming to check out your review.
So glad we agreed :)

Lorna said...

I didn't realize that this was the author of Fingersmith. thank god it's available as an e-book because I cannot in good conscience bring another real book in here,

Lisa said...

Wait--you get to read at work? I want your job!