Monday, May 25, 2009

Pygmy


by Chuck Palahniuk.

Quickie Recap: Pygmy is a highly trained child terrorist who has infiltrated the US disguised as an impoverished foreign exchange student. He is there to rape, impregnate, and ultimately kill many, many capitalist pigs.

Quickie Review: Whoa whoa whoa. Palahniuk is one of those writers that generate a strong response in most readers. I loved Rant, hated Snuff and couldn't wait to see how I felt about his newest, Pygmy. But 50 pages in, I still didn't know on which side of the divide I sat. First off, it's not reader friendly. It's written in broken English that WILL frustrate you. After the first chapter or so I found my rhythm and it got easier, but never easy. And I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I couldn't quite believe the narrator, and I wasn't sure he was who he said he was. I was suspicious. I was also enthralled. I sure sped through it if I didn't like it, so I must have liked it quite a lot. It's definitely original, anyhow, and Palahniuk does an indictment of the American culture like nobody's business. This we knew already. I guess I can't really tell you if you'll like this book. I feel like people need to read it for themselves. I snorted several times, and it definitely was a conversation spark, so to me, it was worthy.

Quickie Recommendation: Tell me what you thought!

1 comment:

Lorna said...

I've had enough Chuck.