Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Double Helix

A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA, by James Watson.

Quickie recap: The race to discover the structure of DNA was run not only between scientists, but between labs and between countries. In the end, 5 people shared the Nobel prize with smiles and grace, but Watson remembers that it wasn't always so polite.

Quickie review: It's not particularly well-written. It's not particularly interesting. I didn't learn anything I didn't know about DNA itself, and while I would have liked to know a little more about the personalities beyond the double helix, Watson painted a portrait that was at once unflattering and yet bare of much detail.

Quickie recommendation: I can't really think of who the target audience for this book is; no, I don't really recommend it.

No comments: