Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Plot Against America

by Philip Roth.

Quickie recap: Roth imagines what life would have been like for himself and his family had Charles A. Lindbergh, the Nazi-loving pilot, been elected President during WW2.

Quickie review: Powerfully inventive, once my mind stopped screaming about the historical inaccuracies (which was my fault for not fully understanding the 'speculative' nature of the novel), I really enjoyed this, not just for the superb writing, but for the craftsmanship and story-telling.

Quickie recommendation: It's not light reading, but it's great reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you read this one! I keep seeing it at Chapters, but I didn't know anyone who'd read it. I find that we have pretty similar tastes,so the next time I'm there, I'm on it!

Grady.

p.s. What other Philip Roths have you read?

Jay said...

Portnoy's Complaint, The Human Stain... as far as I can remember, anyway!