Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Birth House




Quickie recap: Dora Rare is learning to be a midwife\healer in an age when modern medicine is slowly infiltrating Nova Scotia.
Quickie review: Beautiful, quiet, unsuspecting. The lull of the narrative takes you to Canada's picturesque east where the setting is intimate and soon the characters may as well be your neighbours too (for better or worse). McKay manages a true sense of family history and creates a story that takes you back (even if you've never been there).
Quickie recommendation: A lovely, lovely read.

5 comments:

Alana said...

I borrowed this book from a friend of mine back in July and read it on my vacation! It was a wonderful read, I enjoyed every minute of it.

anne... said...

read it. loved it.
especially the part with the vibrator. tee hee.

Jay said...

Yes, I remember in my sexology course reading about how doctors actually did give orgasms to their female patients to 'treat' them for all kinds of things (apparently quite successfully) - but not all of them used machines!

B said...

thanks for reviewing this I wasn't sure but now I will read it

Anonymous said...

I agree. An absolutely fantastic story, beautifully written, and I was sorry I read it in only a few days. It deserves another more leisurely read.