Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Peony in Love


Quickie recap: Peony is a young girl, betrothed to be married, who becomes obsessed with a play about a girl who loves a man so deeply that she dies of 'lovesickness' and is reunited with him in death. Peony pines for this kind of romanticism but the harsh reality of her arranged marriage haunts her.
Quickie review: I couldn't wait to read this book, or so I thought, because I found myself putting it off. I so enjoyed Sun Flower and the Secret Fan that I knew Peony had a lot to live up to, and I didn't want to be disappointed. And for the first several pages, my heart sank - yes, there was still beauty in the words, yes, the magic of an ancient culture still held me captivated, but I felt that the plot was a bit, well, predictable. But then - wham! I'm sorry I ever doubted, Miss See. This is NOT your average love story after all.
Quickie recommendation: I am glad to say: yes!

2 comments:

Lolly said...

Oh, you make me want to rush right out and buy it!
I do loves me a good, "not your average," love story.

sailorliones aka thekreeper said...

I would like to read full length reviews if possible.