Saturday, January 5, 2008

Stories From the Vinyl Cafe





Quickie recap: You may know Dave and Morley from Stuart McLean's radio show on the CBC - if you don't, you can always scurry over and get yourself in on the podcasts. Dave and Morley live and love in Toronto, and get themselves into frequent hilarious-type situations, kinda like me, only with less swearing and more family values.


Quickie review: I was first introduced to the Vinyl Cafe because it was an answer to a Trivial Pursuit question that I didn't know. I hate not knowing. So I looked up Mr. McLean and the gang who run this fictional record store and I've been hooked ever since. These stories are originally broadcast on the radio and are great to listen to in that capacity. To that end, they're not great literature. The sentences are not always complete, the grammar is off. I buy these books because they're great to read aloud, and that's how they come alive. They're meant to be conversational. They're sweet and funny and hearty, and if you have a snowy Sunday afternoon and a nice little afghan, than all you need is this book to have a little piece of perfection.


Quickie recommendation: Yup.

No comments: