Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Briefer History of Time


The science classic made more accessible - more concise - illustrated - updated with the latest research, by Stephen Hawking with Leonard Mlodinow.
Quickie Recap: Contrary to the title, A Briefer History is not actually any shorter than his previous book, A Brief History of Time. Rather, Hawking has edited out the boring bits but expanded on the better bits, plus added up-to-the-minute findings that didn't exist even 5 minutes ago.
Quickie Review: Hawking is a cool guy because he can write a book like this without assuming that I, the reader, am an idiot. He gives me some credit. He also knows that no one is as brilliant as he is. He is a gentle explainer, and for that, I thank him. One of these days, I am going to get string theory. I really am. Today was not that day, but until that day, I'm going to keep reading books like this, books that maybe bring me a little closer to spanking the ignorant out of me. It had some definitely Ohhhh moments, and even some Oohhh! moments, and once, an Oh? moment, but I'll leave you to guess which section that was.
Quickie Recommendation: Pretty fly for a white guy.

3 comments:

Droog said...

I've been really enjoying your book reviews. Keep up the great work.

Jay said...

Thanks, bud.
I've really been enjoying reading. I think I must be eating enough vitamins or something, my brain is actually functioning and I feel it clicking like mad when I'm digesting the juicy bits.

Steve said...

I almost bought this one, but I bought one of Nigel Warburton's philosphy books, then I started Egger's, "You Shall Know our Velocity"...but this on eis definitely next.
For a cool Egers speech...
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/dave_eggers_makes_his_ted_prize_wish_once_upon_a_school.html