Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Blink

The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell.



Quickie Recap: We all know that in a matter of seconds, we can decide whether we like someone, whether we approve of something, whether we're afraid of a situation. Most of us will try to justify these snap decisions, but the truth is, the real reasons are largely unconscious, but Gladwell tells us we can actually learn to control those quick reactions.



Quickie Review: I liked this book, though I feel a bit wary admitting that since Gladwell openly admits that we can be primed to like something, and I have no doubt that he's savvy enough to prime his own readers! But he's got a really energizing concept coupled with some excellent examples that will make your brain tingle in all the right places. Have I learned when to think and when to blink? Ask me really quick and I guess we'll find out!

Quickie Recommendation: Surprisingly thoughtful.

No comments: