Thursday, August 21, 2008

Beijing Coma




Quickie Recap: Dai Wei is a student in Beijing when the events of Tienanmen Square take place in 1989. He joins the protests as an organizer and ends up with a bullet in his head. It doesn't kill him, though that would have the better way out. Instead, he ends up in a coma, unable to move or talk or stop the flood of memories from torturing his every moment.


Quickie Review: I have read everything about the massacre in Tienanmen Square that I could get my hands on. This, however, left me cold. I don't know why, but I felt no connection to this book. Could it have been lost in translation? I'll never know. All I can say is that I wasn't feeling it. There was no passion, I felt no sympathy. It's like it lost its heart.


Quickie Recommendation: I have to say no - but do read a good first-hand account instead.

No comments: