Sunday, August 17, 2008

Stuff White People Like

A Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions by Christian Lander.

WARNING: COOL BOOK ALERT!

Quickie Recap: Based on his uber-funny blog, Christian Lander takes the funny to a whole new level with his book. Ever sit around and wonder what white people are doing this very moment? Lander offers some likely answers: yoga, shopping organic, getting divorced...and he does it in an always eyebrow-raising, high-larious way.

Quickie Review: This book is a hoot, and I think to be enjoyed by the whites and the nonwhites alike. I mean, who doesn't like to laugh at white people? Will it actually help you understand white people any better? God, I hope not. But you should display it prominently on your bookshelf just to reassure them. :) As a white person myself, I kept an internal check list as I read along, groaning in embarrassment any time I liked any of the things my race supposedly likes - David Sedaris, for example - and feeling gloaty and condescending any time I could pashaw at an item that I in fact do not like, like outdoor performance clothes. Man, I'm telling you, you just have to read it. I think it might be genius. I mean, possibly Lander is an idiot-savant, I don't claim to know the guy, but by golly if he isn't entertaining!

Quickie Recommendation: Please buy this book IMMEDIATELY, read it cover to cover, and then email me with your 'whiteness' rating - I'm just dying to know if I beat you or not!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha!
This is a great review. I've never even heard of it before and now I can't wait to go pick it up!