Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Stiff


The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach.
Quickie Recap: What happens to a body when it is donated "to science"? You'd be surprised. Cadavers have a whole bunch of uses, and I bet you haven't really stopped to think about most of them, but Mary Roach has.
WARNING: Cool book alert!
Quickie Review: Like a gruesome car wreck, you can't help but look. Sure it's gory and gross and deeply disturbing, but it's also oddly fascinating and enlightening and has you questioning your own sense of mortality. The first time you laugh out loud, it will surprise you, but pretty soon you realize that Roach is faultlessly respectful, which never stops her from being highly entertaining. This is a re-read for me and I'm enjoying it just as much the second time around. It has been on my list of all-time favourites for years now and I can't see it ever being displaces because it's quirky, unusual, extremely thorough, and delightfully fun. The footnotes alone would be worth a glowing review but all together - I cannot say enough.
Quickie Recommendation: God, yes!!!

3 comments:

Droog said...

I picked up this book on your recommendation. Thanks for the heads up.

myza said...

I stumbled on your blog at work (when I should be doing work..) and pretty much went through the entire thing. You have given me so many book recommendations that I am worried I will never get to read them all.

Thanks!

Myza

Anonymous said...

My! What big feet you have!